Khyber Teaching Hospital MTI
|OPD||Mon / Tues / Wed / Thurs / Fri||8:OOAM to 4:OOPM|
|IBP||Monday to Friday||4:OOPM to 8:OOPM|
Vision of the Department:
The Department of Psychiatry Khyber Teaching Hospital is the leading Psychiatric Care and Teaching and Training Department in the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa with the highest number of MCPS and FCPS residents. The Department provides Teaching and Training facilities not only to the undergraduate students and post graduate residents but also to Clinical Psychologists, Nursing students, Social workers and students of Doctor of Pharmacy of the University of Peshawar. The Department has produced a number of Psychiatrists who are now working in different parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Pakistan. This current Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry is Chapter Chief KPK of Pakistan Psychiatrists Society. His vision is to make the Department of Psychiatry as state-of-the-art Psychiatric Institution in Pakistan. He has successfully started dedicated Child Psychiatric Services, the first ever such services in the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. He is keen to train as many Psychiatrists, Clinical Psychologists and other mental health professionals as possible so that the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
It gives me immense pleasure to write this message for the official page of the Department of Psychiatry Khyber Medical College and Khyber Teaching Hospital Peshawar. The Department is one of the pioneer Teaching Psychiatric Departments in the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Psychiatric disorders are on the rise and approximately 34% of people in Pakistan suffer from Anxiety and Depression alone.
Psychiatry in Pakistan is still in the evolutionary stages of development. There is acute shortage of Mental Health Professionals in the country. The Royal College of Psychiatrists recommend a Psychiatrist for 10,000 population but in our country we have one Psychiatrist for a population of half a million. Keeping in view the gravity of this gap, we are motivating and encouraging medical students and other doctors to specialize in Psychiatry and the number of Trainees has increased in the last 2 decades. Now it is the right time that we establish the sub-specialties of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Old-Age Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry and Addiction Psychiatry in our country. We also need to train more Clinical Psychologists, Social Workers and Psychiatric Nurses to be prepared for the future Mental Health needs of our province and Pakistan.
I am sure that with the efforts of our team and the support of our Health Department we can achieve these cherished goals of training maximum number of Mental Health Professionals and can establish the sub-specialties of Psychiatry.
Services & Activities
Psychiatry Department is a very vibrant Department with daily Outpatient Department Clinics and Emergency Admissions 24/7 all the year. Around 600 to 800 patients a week visit the outpatient department. The turnover is very rapid in the indoor patients. Apart from the drug treatment, patients are provided with individual and group counseling, brief interpersonal psychotherapy, Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Supportive Psychotherapy, Behavioural Therapies and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Electroconvulsive Therapies (ECTS).
There is a refurbished Teaching and Training Room with Audio-Visual Facilities in the Department. There are separate cabins for assessment and Psychotherapies of the patients admitted to the Department.
There is structured program for the post graduate Training of FCPS and MCPS. Batches of Clinical Psychologists are also trained in the Department. More than 30 FCPS Medicine and Allied trainees and 24 House Officers have attended the Department in their mandatory rotations in the past one year. Students of Psychology Department of Peshawar University and Islamia University Peshawar are also trained in the Department. Nurses from our own institution and Khyber Medical University have been trained here as well. Undergraduate medical students (4-thYr MBBS and Final Yr MBBS) are also being trained in Clinical Psychiatry during their Clinical Attachments.
- This is a weekly presentation program for all the trainees of Psychiatry (FCPS and MCPS) along with trainees of Clinical Psychology and Social Work. A very detailed clinical presentation including comprehensive History, Physical Examination, Mental State Examination, Diagnosis and Formulation of the case along with its Biopsychosocial Management and prognosis is presented by one of the trainees. All the Faculty Members attend and participate in these meetings and give very detailed and valuable feedback to the trainees.
- There is a weekly Journal Club Presentation where trainees present Original Research Papers and Review Articles published in renowned Journals. This not only gives a much updated knowledge on various aspects of advances in Psychiatry but the post graduate students get trained in Research Methodology, Statistics and the trainees also get various new ideas for their research papers in the field.
- The post graduate internees get trained and evaluated by the faculty members in various aspects of the knowledge, skills, attitude and professionalism. This has been highly appreciated by the trainees and the trainers as these sessions are very productive and helpful for the trainees to prepare them for their future exams in the field.
- The Department of Psychiatry is affiliated with Khyber Medical University for 6 months Certificate Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Four batches of 20 Psychiatrists, Clinical Psychologists and a few Physicians have successfully completed the course. The Certificate course is the first and only course to train Mental Health Professionals and Physicians in this specialized evidence based Psychotherapy.
- The Department has been regularly conducting Mock Examination for IMM, MCPS and FCPS examinations not only for the candidates working in the Department but also from other institutions around the country.
- Behavioural Sciences classes for Undergraduate Students of Khyber Medical College are taught by the faculty of Psychiatry.
- The Department has organized numerous symposia, seminars, clinico-pathological cases conferences and Psychiatric National and International Conferences successfully on different themes in the past 2 decades. The Department organizes and observes World Mental Health Day every year for the past 20 years, which is well attended by a huge number of doctors and mental health professionals around the Province.
- The Department has Development and Amended the Federal Mental Health Act, which is now modified and promulgated in the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- The Department has prepared Curriculum, Statutes and Regulations for Diploma is Psychological Medicine (DPM) in the Department. The curriculum and statutes of the program has been sent to Khyber Medical University for approval.